- Minimum age 15 and maximum age 19 at commencement of competition
- Have passed Cecchetti Advanced 1 exam, (or equivalent level nomenclature used by each organization)
- Be a student and non-professional classical ballet dancer
Content to be Adjudicated
- Two classical ballet classes-one that is observed in the studio but not marked, and one on stage that is adjudicated and open to the audience
- One contemporary class to be observed by adjudicators but not marked, and one to be seen on stage and open to an audience
- Classical ballet solo, from approved repertoire, on stage
- Solo of own choice, neoclassical, contemporary, or modern genre (hereafter known as contemporary)
- Solos not to exceed three minutes
- Competitors are allowed to perform both solos, and adjudicated ballet class, before any selections are made for the finals
- Dancers to perform solos in order of their performance number
- To be selected for the finals the judging "weight" will be counted: ballet class- 1/3, classical solo 1/3, solo of choice-1/3, and the selected finalists will perform both solos once again. From those finalists the awards will be given.
Awards and Scholarships
- Monetary prize categories to be determined by the host organization based on these suggested categories:
$5,000 USD Maestro Enrico Cecchetti Award
$2,500 USD Most Promising Dancer Award
$1,500 USD Musicality and Artistic Quality Award
$1,500 USD Contemporary Award
$1,000 USD Audience Choice Award
- Scholarships will be awarded by the panel of adjudicators as well as organizational representatives. Scholarships will be presented on stage.
- All competitors will be eligible to win summer intensive scholarships to be awarded by representatives of the schools/companies below:
- ABT/JKO School
- ATENEO DANZA ITALY
- Ballet West
- Birmingham Royal Ballet, UK
- Boston Ballet
- Canada's National Ballet School
- Cecchetti Council of America
- Cecchetti USA
- Connecticut Ballet
- Elmhurst School of Dance, Birmingham, UK
- Grand Rapids Ballet
- Interlochen Performing Arts High School
- Joffrey Ballet School- NY
- Joffrey Ballet School-San Antonio TX
- KS Dance, UK
- Portland Youth Ballet
- Princeton Ballet School
- Richmond Ballet
- Royal Winnipeg Ballet
- Texas Ballet Theater School
- Victorian College of the Arts, Australia
- Costumes worn for the solos are the responsibility of each competitor, with footwear appropriate to the dance
- Classical grooming and attire is expected for the classical class
- Bare feet will be expected for the contemporary class, unitards preferred
- Competitors under 18 must have a responsible adult as coach/mentor throughout the competition
- One coach/mentor per competitor shall receive free entry to all paid events
Deadline for Entries
- The deadline for entries is May 1, 2014
- Please click HERE for downloadable entry form which can be mailed along with a check or money order to Cecchetti USA for your entry fee.
- To fill out the online entry form, click on "Competitor Entry Form" in the menu box above, fill out the form, click send, and then check-out. You will then be directed to PayPal to complete you payment.
Competition Entry Fee
- $175 USD paid directly to CUSA (by each organization)
- Each competitor must meet the criteria set by their host organization
- Each organization must submit their entries and pay via PayPal
- Dancers visiting the CICB website should clearly understand that they need to go to their own country's Cecchetti organization for audition information
- Failure to comply with rules and regulations set forth may lead to disqualification
- Travel and Accommodations
- All costs of travel and accommodations are borne by the competitor or their sponsoring organization. Richmond International Airport (RIC)'s central location offers easy access to 1-64, I-295, Pocahontas 895, and I-85 and is only a few short minutes from downtown Richmond. Like most large cities, Richmond offers reliable taxi service and public transportation throughout the area. Special room rates at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel have been negotiated for the competition and all participants are required to stay at this hotel. Please see the guest information page for additional information on travel directions, hotel bookings, and meal plans.
- Class and Event Schedule
- CUSA-CICB Calendar of Events (NOTE: to fit on one page, this must be printed in landscape format on legal size paper)
- CUSA Summer Class Schedule (NOTE: to fit on one page, this must be printed in landscape format on legal size paper)
- Room and Meal Reservations: The Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Richmond is offering guests attending the CICB Competition 2014 a discounted room rate as well as a meal package including breakfast and dinner; Sunday dinner- Saturday dinner, August 3-9.
Single Room: $69 per night
Double Room: $79 per night
Meal Package: $177 per person for the week (lunch not included)
*Sunday evening Welcome Banquet is included.
To make room and meal reservations, contact: Christina Norton, Sales Manager 804-344-2976 or email@example.com
Do not book reservations online or by calling the hotel reservation number.
- Daily Buffet: Lunches will be available at the Richmond Ballet Studios for $60 for the week. To order the buffet lunch package via PayPal, go to cecchettiusa.org, click on the Residential Summer Course Registration Form and choose the buffet lunch option. You will then be directed to fill out the contact information on the form.